Wow, this is simply a great amp!.It sounds amazing, and is remarkably light and small.
What really made this DAC stand out amongst the people we talked to for this review was that Audioengine have managed to pack so much into such a small package. The audio quality is truly outstanding, and the DAC will easily fit on your desk amongst all of your other equipment.
In fact, it is difficult to see how this DAC could be any smaller – if it was, there would not be enough space for the inputs and outputs. This size has great advantages, of course, in that this DAC is also extremely easy to carry around. You can just slip it into a bag, or even into a pocket, when you need to go to the studio.
Another great feature of this DAC is that it is not just for headphones. There are two analog RCAs on the rear of the amp, meaning that you can have it continually rigged up to your desktop speakers. When you plug your headphones in, the amp automatically disconnects the RCAs, saving you time in switching outputs, and ensuring an interference-free listening experience.
Overall, this is a great DAC that will ensure many years of great quality sound, whether you are listening through headphones or speakers.
In addition, this DAC comes with a great list of extra features:
There are two analog RCAs on the rear of the amp, meaning that you can have it continually rigged up to your desktop speakers.
- The range of devices supported by this DAC is great. It will quickly and easily connect to any modern operating system, and the people we talked to for this review reported that getting it up and running was super easy. Some even reported that they had hooked this DAC up to their Ps4, and that it ha worked great!
- The sound quality, perhaps most importantly, is great. There is virtually no distortion, even when the output is pushed, and the sound reproduction is really true.
- This DAC has a really intuitive interface. With this kind of device, some manufacturers can over-complicate the product with dozens of switches and options. This device is elegantly simple, allowing to focus on what you do best, not distracted by fiddling around with your amp.
- The output switching on this device got great praise among those we spoke to for this review. The musicians among them found it especially useful that just by plugging in their headphones they output to their speakers would be automatically cut off, because it allowed them to get on with what they are good at without worrying about switching outputs all the time.
- In truth, none. If you are looking for a great DAC, which has super high quality sound built into an elegantly simple package, this is the one to go for! No other DAC we tested could match it’s all-round performance.